What are we looking for?
A knock-out Junior Systems Engineer
Where are we looking?
Boston, MA and/or Remote
What type of job is this?
Full-time. And then some. (Hey, we’re a startup. What did you expect?)
What will get our attention?
- If you have experience with object-oriented programming
- If you've built webapps
- If you can demonstrate experience working with databases and web servers
- If you demonstrate a solid command of API’s, including navigating API docs and implementing API connections
- If you have experience with both Microsoft's and Amazon's hosted services
- If you have prior experience using Tray.io and/or another IPaaS platform
What should you bring to the table?
- Solid experience learning and using 3rd-party SaaS applications; a big bonus if you have experience with any of the following: Zendesk, Chargify, Stripe, ActiveCampaign, PagerDuty, RingCentral, G-Suite (formerly Google Apps) and/or Slack.
- Ability to write JS and implement those scripts across multiple domains and systems.
- A high level of comfort with API's and a desire to consume API docs non-stop
- Experience across the stack and comfort navigating projects and issues from SQL commands to react/angular apps, and through to web-server deployment and management.
- Comfort in building apps such as Slack bots, Zendesk apps, and web apps.
- Eagerness and aptitude for learning new technologies and systems;
- The ability to derive a genuine level of comfort and satisfaction from repeatedly executing identical projects and tasks but also being just as satisfied working on new projects and initiatives;
- A natural affinity for method-driven processes;
- Ability to write clean documentation for general consumption;
- Ability to work in an unstructured environment with a keen understanding of the importance of your role in a startup;
- Ability to solve “one off” issues and requests, while still maintaining a focus upon the bigger picture;
- Self-starter mentality capable of working independently;
- Reliable work ethic - our systems, teams, partners, and processes will depend on you;
- Availability to provide support during non-business hours while we ramp up;
- Maniacal attention to detail and great organizational skills; and,
- A strong desire to be a team player - we are all in this together and need to be committed to working together.
What do we bring to the table?
- A team of aces willing to do anything for each other;
- Competitive salary;
- 100% company-paid medical insurance;
- Eligibility for dental, vision, short-term disability, and life insurance;
- Flexible time off policy;
- Employee-contributed 401K plan;
- Dog-friendly environment;
- Pseudo-healthy snacks; and
- Lots of team socials (we hope you like IPAs. And bowling.)
What would a typical day look like?
As a company, we are a small and nimble team with one goal: to completely change the way tech support for consumer electronics is delivered in the home. We partner with professional smart-home installation companies across North America to modernize, develop, and manage their support infrastructure to ultimately monetize the end-user (i.e. home-owners) relationship. Our company is comprised of Marketing, Tech Support Ops, Partner Development, and Product; we are looking for a junior systems engineer to strengthen our infrastructure, ensure reliability, and research/implement new systems and techniques as appropriate.
This is where you come in. On a macro-level, your time will be split into two categories:
- maintaining and improving many of the systems and tools we have built over the years that powers our platform, and
- assisting our primary developer in building new webapps and tools to continue advancing our product.
On the maintenance side, this means troubleshooting production issues, owning the versioning, enhancements, and deployment for existing workflows, working with various teams on scoping and building out improvements, and documenting "how the sausage is made."
On the new development side, you will be working with our existing developer to explore new solutions and methods of building the next generation of applications and connections that power our entire platform. This includes exploring new hosting solutions, new database solutions, and implementing a CMS and new email service provider among other things.
On the Systems side, you’ll be responsible for running and eventually improving a tool to automate what we call “spin-ups” whenever we bring on a new Partner (i.e. one of the many smart home installation companies referenced above). These spin-ups consist of setting up our new Partners with their Service Platform, which includes configuring Zendesk, PagerDuty, Tray.io, ActiveCampaign, Chargify and others. Building tools and solving problems for the Systems team will be an ongoing and integral part of this job and, because our systems team supports both our organization and all of our partner companies, this is a critical role.
On the Marketing systems side, you will rely heavily on Tray.io and will be responsible for monitoring existing workflows, developing new workflows to solve newly identified issues, rebuilding or integrating old processes related to platforms such as PagerDuty, RingCentral, Retool, Azure hosted DB solution and others into Tray. You’ll connect new systems that we adopt into our existing platform and integrate with all of the SaaS products we use. You will help build a data warehouse that will be used for both real-time transactions as well as reporting.
On the Product side, you will work closely with our lead developer for any and all new products and tools we scope for building. You will be working closely with our newly-formed Product team as an integral member helping to guide decisions based on capabilities.
Generally speaking, this position is not for the faint of heart. It will require you to think logically and linearly about everything you do, while managing multiple parallel tasks on any given day. You’ll often feel like you’re serving multiple masters - sometimes working under our Dir. of Marketing while on other days working much more closely with our Dir. of Product.
Curious if you’ll fit our culture?
- Do you believe there’s always room for improvement? We are constantly in pursuit of perfection when it comes to the client experience.
- Do you always have a backup plan? Things rarely go according to plan so it’s important to be prepared.
- Are you frequently putting yourself in others’ shoes? Whether we’re fielding a frantic request or providing technical instructions, we always need to be empathetic to the situation.
- Do you always dot your i’s and cross your t’s? Attention to detail is a must.
- Can you keep a secret? Good, because our end-user’s privacy is a top priority.
- Are you happy to lend a helping hand? We’re a small, tight-knit group and at times all wear a number of different hats.
- Are you transparent and do you prefer addressing the elephant in the room? We pride ourselves on being upfront and honest, and believe it’s one of the things that sets us apart from the pack.
- Do you pick up the ball that someone else may have dropped? We’re looking for people that own the company goals beyond just doing their job.
- Are you OK with making a mistake? We are too, as long as we learn from them and don’t repeat.